The school is part of a small to medium sized country community of approximately 5000 people. The students come from a diverse range of family employment backgrounds including farming, fishing, retail, commercial and paper manufacturing.
The town of Millicent is the largest centre but students also come from the smaller neighbouring towns of Mt Burr, Rendelsham, Southend, Beachport, Tantanoola and surrounding farms.
There is a wide diversity in the socio- economic background of students. For example, there are students from families reliant upon social security, students who live on farms, students where parents work shift work at Kimberly Clark Paper Mills and students of parents who are self-employed and or professional.
- There is an active and supportive Governing Council which meets monthly.
- There is a small but very active and supportive Parents and Friends Group.
- There is a group of parents and past students who support our Pedal Prix team.
- A range of other parent committees including finance, grounds and facilities
- Millicent North Primary School.
- Newbery Park Primary School.
- Rendelsham Primary School.
- Mount Burr Primary School.
- St Anthony’s Catholic Primary School.
Other local care and educational facilities
There are 2 preschools and one child care centre operating in Millicent.
Commercial/industrial and shopping facilities
- The largest employer is the Kimberly-Clark Paper Products Mill located approximately 12kms South of the town. There are a large number of other service industries and employers located in the town.
- There are 3 ‘banks’: ANZ, Bank SA, and the People’s Choice Credit Union with a Commonwealth bank agency at the Post Office.
- There is an extensive range of retailing and service providers available eg Woolworths, Foodland, IGA, Target- Country, a range of specialty shops, Toyota and Ford dealerships, 2 Hotels, 2 Motels, and a Hotel/Motel.
Other local facilities
There are excellent medical and dental facilities available including a local hospital.
Availability of staff housing
There is a reasonable stock of Government Employee housing together with Private Sector houses, units and flats.
Sporting and Recreational facilities
The community has a strong sporting life with active clubs including football, softball, baseball, croquet, hockey, tennis, cricket, squash, bowls, pony club, basketball, clay target shooting, gliding, soccer, netball, badminton, gym. There is a highly acclaimed golf course which is rated as one of the best country courses in the nation. Water skiing, sailing, diving, fishing and other water sports are available close by.
Public Transport Access
- There is a daily bus service to and from Adelaide and Mount Gambier.
- The school is serviced by 5 free buses to outlying centres.
- There is a Millicent Taxi Service.
- The School / MCLC provide a mini bus to Mt Gambier for students to access approved TAFE courses.